*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you ever thought about purchasing a drone, but you weren’t sure if they were fun or lasted very long? Maybe you just purchased your first drone, and you want to know about the battery in the drone and why it seems to die so fast. Well, in this article we will go over everything you need to know about drones and their batteries and why they die so fast.
So why do drone batteries die so fast?
Drone batteries only last an average of 7 minutes because of all the power that it takes to lift and fly the drone up in the air. The longest flight that a drone has had, is actually more than 3 times the average coming in at 27 minutes of flight time on one battery!
If you want to purchase the drone with the longest amount of flight time on one battery, you can find one by clicking here.
If you want to know more about drones and how long their batteries last, you will want to keep reading this article. You can also watch this short video to learn all about the top drones with the longest flight time.
A drone is a flying robot that can be controlled by a remote. It was first used for military activities. Today though, it is mostly used for commercial and entertainment purposes like photography and videography and other fun activities.
LiPo batteries are commonly used for drones with lithium-ion technology. These batteries are the most suitable for drones because they’re lightweight and support large capacity. For low range, it is recommended to use the Lithium-Ion (Li-ion) batteries, because they support lower discharge voltages.
When choosing a battery for your drone, it’s important to take into consideration a few things:
- Know what size battery you need. The bigger your battery is, the longer you will be able to fly your drone. Also, take into account the battery’s physical size, depending on what drone model you have.
- How many batteries you want to use. If you use more than one battery for your drone, it will be safer flying it. This is because if one of them fails or dies, you always have a second battery that you can use to keep your drone in the air.
- Choosing the best battery brand is something that actually makes a difference. While most people think there is not a difference between battery brands, it actually does make a difference. This is why it is wise to invest in a battery that you can count on in the long run, rather than to buy a cheap one, and end up paying more in the end. If you are looking for the best battery for your drone you can find them here. The best battery brands that you should buy for your drone are, GensAce, TATTU batteries, and Turnigy/Multistar. It’s true, they are on the more expensive side, but they last for a long time, and they’re worth the money. They last longer and operate better with your equipment, especially if you have expensive equipment.
Drones require a high amount of energy to be able to lift and fly therefore they can’t be in the air for too long at a time. Depending on the equipment you have, the average drone can last up to 7 minutes in the air. The longest time a drone was up in the air was 27 minutes and it was the model DJI Inspire 2.
Why do drones have a short battery life?
There are several factors that can cause a drone to have a short battery life, including the one mentioned above. To put it in simple terms, the rotary aircraft (hexacopter or quadcopter) needs a big amount of energy to stay in the air.
Also, the energy that is being transferred into the batteries of the drone creates heat and that can damage the batteries giving them a short life.
If you get a good battery though, they can last approximately 6 years.
Please note that if you want to purchase a drone for work, or commercial purposes, or even just for hobby, you will want to consider investing in a more expensive one instead of a cheap one. This is because it’s worth paying a little more to get good quality and reliability. If you choose the cheaper drone, you will probably regret your decision.
Bad weather conditions like rain, fog and wind will also make your drone’s battery life even shorter, because it requires more energy to stay in the air in heavy rain or wind.
What happens if your battery dies while flying your drone?
If the drone’s battery dies in the air and loses power, then it may crash into the ground. Most crashes are caused by a battery voltage drop which can happen in seconds. Sometimes a cheap battery will even go from 30% to 8% in a split second, especially if it’s cold outside.
Although there are ways to prevent that from happening, like making sure your batteries are charged every time before flying, flying your drone with a low battery means a risk to your and other people’s safety.
This is why you should always make sure to check your batteries before taking off, and if you see any sign of damage, don’t fly your drone with them. If you see any damage to the battery of your drone, you will want to replace them with new ones immediately.
How to extend your drone’s battery life?
You can get the best performance out of a drone and get the longest flight time by using it in ideal weather conditions.
- Sunny, wind and rain-free weather will do the trick to make your drone stay longer in the air.
- Letting the batteries cool off before recharging them will not only give you more flight time, but it will also give your batteries a longer life. You shouldn’t recharge them while they’re still hot. This is because that can easily damage them.
- Anything that helps reduce the overall weight will extend battery life.
- Using a bigger and lighter battery for your drone.
- Buy batteries with a larger capacity. While they are more expensive, they will help your drone function better.
- Buy extra batteries. Buying extra batteries for your drone will not necessarily extend the battery’s life, but it will help in replacing quickly a dead battery when you need it.
What is the cheapest drone with the longest flight time?
The MJX Bugs 2 can last in the air for up to 18 minutes. It has a 1080p resolution with 30 frames per second. It has lots of new features like Telemetry, GPS, Return to home and FPV. It has lots of good reviews and won’t break the bank when you buy it.
Drone batteries die fast for many reasons, but there are ways and tricks to slow this process down by paying more attention to weather conditions and recharging the batteries only after cooling them down. Now that you know about your drone battery and how fast they can die, you will want to make sure they are always fully charged before every flight.